About the product
Blackheads driving you insane? To quote Shakespeare’s Macbeth: “Out, damned spot!” We’ve got just the set to tackle every part of those stubborn black spots and take them down once and for all!
COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid
COSRX is our go-to brand for effective and cost-efficient way to get your best skin ever. You can reduce blackheads, remove sebum, and minimize the appearance of pores and oiliness with the COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. Containing naturally derived 4% betaine salicylate, this gentle exfoliant reaches deep into pores to clarify skin while balancing oil production and improving glow.
Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Color Clay Mask Purifying
If oily skin and enlarged pores are broadcasting your blackheads to the world (but you’re worried about overworking and drying out your skin with a traditional clay mask), fear not! Purge those pores and control sebum without dryness or tightness with this next-generation natural purifying clay mask from Innisfree. Formulated with Jeju volcanic scoria and mud, this soft and creamy dual mask-and-cleanser kicks impurities and dead skin cells to the curb, leaving your skin clarified and fresh.
SanDaWha Natural Mild Cleansing Oil
See why this cleansing oil is an editor favorite! The SanDaWha Natural Mild Cleansing Oil “grips” and removes oil-based makeup (even waterproof mascara), sunscreen, dirt, and excess sebum, all while maintaining the moisture balance of the skin. Made with 61.55% Jeju camellia seed oil and over 99% natural ingredients, this cleansing oil washes away cleanly, without the need for a follow-up foam cleanser, if you so wish. There are no synthetic oils like silicone or mineral oil in this cleansing oil, and it’s also hypoallergenic, making it the perfect oil cleanser for all skin types.
Have you heard of “grits”? No, not the southern breakfast staple—these are blackhead grits! You can read all about how to get rid of these disgustingly satisfying grits with this very skincare set over at our Director of Marketing Jude’s blog here!
Beautytap’s Director of Marketing Jude Chao (aka well-renowned skincare blogger Fiddysnails) formulated this method to temporarily shrink the appearance of pores and reduce sebaceous filaments. Here, an excerpt from her original blog post, “How to Shrink Pores (Temporarily), Plus 3 Pore Myths” from her blog:
Note: The best time to do this is in the morning, before your regular morning skin care routine. This way, you won’t have to cleanse first and then again at the end of this process.
1. Apply your BHA product. (If you have dry or dehydrated skin, you may want to limit your BHA and the rest of this process to only the areas of your face where your SFs are most visible.) Because BHAs are oil soluble, they’ll be able to penetrate deep into the sebum filling up your pores, loosening the gunk to make it easier to remove with the following steps. Wait 20-25 minutes to allow the BHA to do its job.
2. Without washing off the BHA, apply your clay mask. Wait for however long the clay mask instructions specify.
3. Rinse off your clay mask with tepid to lukewarm water. Be careful with your water temperature here, as both your BHA and clay mask can be quite drying, and you don’t want to overdry your skin by throwing hot water at it on top of that. Dry your face.
4. Apply your cleansing oil or carrier oil. Wait 15 minutes. The oil will help draw the gunk in your pores to the surface.
5. Gently massage your face or areas you’re treating for 2-3 minutes. If all has gone well, at this point you’ll feel tiny little grains coming out of your pores! These are the clogs that have been making your pores more visible. Many people call them “grits,” and getting grits out of your face is an amazingly satisfying feeling. Do not apply too much pressure to your skin or massage for longer than 5 minutes, tops. Doing so can result in broken capillaries, and those can’t be fixed without pricey laser treatments. Don’t worry if you don’t feel the grits. Some people don’t, either because the clogs are too small or because there wasn’t enough sebum and dead skin buildup to create grits. Even if you don’t feel any coming out, this process is still clearing your pores and reducing their appearance.
6. After the oil massage, emulsify and rinse off your cleansing oil or wash off your carrier oil as usual. Continue with your regular skin care routine.
As Korea’s first and best natural beauty roadshop brand, founded in 2000, Innisfree truly is dedicated to natural ingredients and eco-friendly beauty. Their affordable, effective products, like their It’s Real Squeeze sheet masks and Green Tea Seed Serum, make this brand a favorite among Koreans and non-Koreans alike. In addition to a commitment to utilize 70% natural ingredients in their products, most of which are indigenous to the pristine, lush eco-system of Korea’s Jeju Island (their lab is located in their green tea farm in Jeju), Innisfree strives to reduce their carbon emissions, use environmentally friendly packaging, and donate 1% of their profits to the local community.
In its nature-based skincare line, SanDaWha harnesses the purity and power of the camellia flower that thrives in the unique ecosystem of Jeju Island, considered Korea’s Hawaii for its tropical climate and lush greenery. Camellia seed oil is rich in vitamins, omega-3, -6, and -9, and oleic acid; absorbs well without stickiness; and helps to deeply hydrate skin. Using a cold-pressing process to naturally extract unrefined camellia oil, thereby preserving its skin-nourishing properties, SanDaWha emphasizes high quality ingredients over fancy packaging. SanDaWha believes in skincare that is kind to your skin, your health, and the environment, and never uses harmful ingredients.
A true breakout star in the highly competitive world of K-beauty, COSRX’s popularity spread by word-of-mouth through the blogosphere rather than marketing. Founded with the simple mission of good, effective skincare ingredients, as little of the bad stuff as possible, open communication with their customers, minimal marketing, and affordability, COSRX believes in spending their money on ingredients and effectiveness rather than packaging and promotions. To that end, they focus on their ground game, listening to customer feedback to refine and formulate their products and provide better service. From their cult favorite One Step Pimple Clear Pads to their Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser, COSRX epitomizes the future of K-beauty.