Top Celebrity Makeup Artists Share Easy Holiday Beauty Looks To Try At Home
‘Tis the season to go glam in less than 10 minutes with quick and easy makeup looks created by the revered artists behind award-wining actresses Regina King and Kaley Cuoco.
Even in the absence of office parties and ugly sweater extravaganzas this December, there’s something about getting a little glammed up that can put you in the holiday spirit (yes, even in 2020). Whether you’re enjoying an intimate holiday celebration with family or ringing in the new year with friends over Zoom, a sparkly eye or a bold lip just feels right this time of year.
Looking for some inspiration? Here are five festive beauty looks to serve up this holiday season — and beyond, for that matter.
Jamie Greenberg’s Effortless Holiday Eye Smudge
With a client list that includes Kaley Cuoco, Busy Phillips, Rashida Jones, and Jessica Alba, celebrity makeup artist Jamie Greenberg knows a thing or two about creating fresh, pretty looks with the perfect touch of glam. Snag her makeup style for yourself with this simple, chic tutorial for any holiday occasion.
1. Blend a finely milled shadow with sparkle onto the lid and into the crease. (Greenberg used a shadow by Lorac here.)
2. Take a soft eyeliner in any color fill in top and bottom water rim. Then, fill in the lash line on the top and bottom lids. Smudge liner with finger or brush and follow with two to three coats of a volume-boosting mascara on the top and bottom lashes. (Greenberg loves Stila for a liner pencil, and Thrive Causemetics Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara.)
Beautytap’s community of Beauty Professionals swear by this classic lash lengthening mascara by Eyeko.
3. Prep your skin with your go-to foundation and concealer, if you’d like (Greenberg used Armani and Younique here), and apply a blush and highlighter hybrid on your cheeks. (The clever new Blighlighter from Greenberg’s own line, JamieMakeup, is an excellent choice here and spotted on many of Greenberg’s celebrity clients.)
4. Finally, add a swipe of lip gloss and follow up with a lip liner — Greenberg says this helps create a more defined shape. (Here, she used Mac Lipglass in Twinsies and Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Pencil in Pillow Talk.)
Latrice Johnson’s Glow-Up Skin and Bold Lip
“My go-to holiday makeup look is always glowing skin and a bold lip,” celebrity makeup artist Latrice Johnson tells Beautytap. Just ask her Oscar-winning client, Regina King. Johnson’s biggest tip? To combat dry winter weather, start with hydrated skin before diving into the rest of these steps — she loves Koh Gen Do’s Oriental Plants Essence and Macro Vintage T3 Premium Oil.
1. Start with primer (she recommends Smashbox Photo Finish Primer on the T-zone), followed by a hydrating, long-wearing, full-coverage foundation — her picks here are the Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture Foundation or Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Luminous Foundation.
- Beautytap’s community of Beauty Professionals swear by this beloved and favorably reviewed moisturizing foundation primer in a universal shade that’s suited for all skin tones by Paul&Joe.
2. “I like to use warm tones to create a natural or soft smoky look on the eyes during the holidays,” she says. “My go-to palette is the Anastasia Beverly Hills Soft Glam Palette—it looks good on all skin tones and is perfect for all winter looks.” To add a little extra sparkle to the eyes, Johnson also loves One-Size Beauty’s Eye Popper Sparkle Vision Eyeshadow, paired with the Ardell Double Up Wispies Lashes.
3. Now, for the lips. “I love doing a warm deep brown or a classic red, depending on the outfit and mood,” says Johnson. She recommends a liquid lipstick, especially when you’re wearing a mask. For a warm brown looks, she loves Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Heathers and Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint in Unveil. For red, she recommends the same liquid lipstick by Fenty Beauty in the shade Uncensored, or NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment in Star Woman.
Green Glitter Winged Eyeliner
Maybe all this year needs is a little pop of color and a touch of glitter — luckily, this tutorial’s got both. This adorably Grinch-y green eyeliner look by Brianna Fox adds a fun touch to holiday FaceTimes, cozy Christmas Eves, and everything in between.
- Beautytap’s community of Beauty Professionals recommend this liqud eyeliner by Eyeko.
Holiday Glam with Bold Gold Lids
Opposites attract in this tutorial with warm neutral eyeshadows paired with bold, loose glitter. Add a pair of falsies and a bold brow, and you’ve got the perfect look for masked-up holiday events.
- Beautytap’s community of Beauty Professionals recommend this alluring eyeshadow palette by Illamasqua.
Dark Berry Red Lip with Festive Shadow
If glitter isn’t your thing, this elegant matte look (with a light touch of highlighter) is the way to go. Bronze-y red shadow paired with forest green liner feels festive without being over-the-top, while a deep berry-hued lip ties the look together.
- Beautytap’s community of Beauty Professionals recommend this dark berry lip color by Paul&Joe.